The National Technology Innovation Sandbox (NTIS) is an initiative by The Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI) aimed to accelerate the commercialisation and adoption of innovative products and solutions. MaGIC has been appointed by MOSTI as the Lead Secretariat for NTIS and the NTIS Secretariat comprises of TPM, MIMOS and Futurise.
The Senior Manager, NTIS is responsible to engage targeted industries and socio-economic sectors, specifically those related to the NTIS, as well as design and execute strategic programmes to accelerate the growth of Malaysia’s startup entrepreneurship ecosystem. The Senior Manager reports to the Senior Vice President, Technology & Innovation and is responsible to ensure efficient implementation of the NTIS. The primary responsibility of the Manager includes:
1) Manage the overall operations of the NTIS and deliver MaGIC’s role as the NTIS Lead Secretariat;
2) Coordinate and facilitate collaboration with other NTIS Secretariat members, agencies of MOSTI, related Ministries and Agencies in designing strategic NTIS programmes and rolling out NTIS objectives;
3) Implement right processes, project governance and adopt best practices to deliver operational excellence.
● Tertiary education in Business Management or related.
● 10 years experience in a job related functional area.
● Proven knowledge of Project Management.
● Highly developed negotiating and influencing skills.
● Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
● Comprehensive knowledge in job-related functional areas.
● Proven ability to identify key issues and to carry forward an idea or project from conception to execution.
● Track record of thinking conceptually and mastering complex subject matter quickly.
● Strong organisational skills and demonstrated capacity to develop and implement practical strategies, plans, and solutions to identified issues and problems.
● Proven ability to assimilate information gathered through research and consultations, to apply that information in creative and cross-cutting ways, and to synthesise appropriate strategies and responses.
● Track record of taking initiative in managing competing organisational and departmental priorities and to work effectively under pressure when facing extremely short deadlines.
● Exceptional research, writing, analytical and organisational skills and the ability to convey complex concepts in a clear, concise and logical manner.
● Good judgment, discretion, tact and the ability to work easily with senior leaders within the government and business sectors.
● Cool, calm, collected and collaborative. Able to work well under pressure and comfortable with change and complexity in dynamic environments.
● Ability to partner well with colleagues both in and outside of the organisation.
● Ability to work independently and to undertake supervisory responsibilities as needed.
● Has a keen eye in identifying new tools and technologies to enhance work processes and efficiency in addition to the required fundamental skills in Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
● Strategy Execution - Works with senior management and other peers for strategy development and execution planning. Establishes and implements short-range and long-range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates programmatic and operational effectiveness, and effects changes required for improvement.
● Corporate Governance - Provides strategic advice and recommendations to leadership in the development, implementation, and evaluation of new or modified operating policies, practices, and procedures within the specified functional area of focus.
● Professional Expertise - Provide advice and guidance related to your areas of responsibility to external contacts/stakeholders to build effective relationships and to ensure advice is actioned in a way which achieves the required outcome. Proactively provide advice and guidance related to your area of responsibility and/or expertise to colleagues and develop others to provide advice and guidance to a high standard.
● Problem Solving and Analysis - Analyses, designs, documents, and implements internal reporting systems and procedures for the organisation or business entity, within a specified functional area of operation, as applicable to the specified functional area of focus.
● Project Management – Ensure that all major business development projects are managed by appropriate project management processes and to required standards, delivered on time and within agreed budgets and by using cost-based models. Ensure value for money in securing additional or external project management skills and resources when required to deliver the projects. Manage strategic key initiatives as
assigned by the CEO and/or Board of Directors.
● Human Capital Management – Builds and manages a workforce based on organisational goals, budget considerations, and staffing needs. Ensures that employees are appropriately recruited, selected, appraised, developed, guided and rewarded; takes action to address performance problems. Manages a diverse workforce and a variety of work situations.
● Operation Management - Manages and/or provides day-to-day leadership to various technical, professional, and/or administrative personnel engaged in specified project activities, as appropriate to the position.
● Financial Management – Understands the organisation’s financial processes. Work with the immediate supervisor to prepare, justify, and administer the department budget. Oversees procurement and contracting to achieve desired results. Monitors expenditures and uses cost-benefit thinking to set priorities.
● Communication - Communicates financial and goal results and key performance indicators to direct reports. Facilitates goal-level creation for the broader function and works with managers to ensure the goals cascade to all workers. Interfaces with senior management for reporting.
● Result Driven - Overseeing the complete operation of their functional area in accordance with the direction established in the strategic plans.
● Other Duties - Other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor. This might include brief assignments working closely with other departments or organisations.
● Manage end-to-end NTIS programme, from application to approval stage;
● Support the curation of commercialisation framework;
● Steer and manage technology commercialisation initiatives;
● Guide the evaluation and assessment of new technology through primary or secondary market research for commercial potential;
● Consult and identify commercialisation funding opportunities for clients (academia/industry);
● Identify and develop opportunities for commercialising technology through licensing, collaborative ventures and start-ups;
● Develop & deliver capacity building courses on tech transfer, commercialisation and investments;
● Monitor the NTIS application process to ensure it is executed efficiently and timely;
● Formulate operational strategy in improving team performance, managing both the operations process, embracing design, planning and control with regards to the processes;
● Maintain good documentations and records via use of appropriate digital tools and resources;
● Perform analysis and recommends process improvements to better maximise business technology and provides project and operational status reports to senior leadership;
● Responsible for suggesting functionality improvements and enhancements to existing process and software;
● Collaborate with MaGIC teams to ensure cross-departmental collaboration and maximise synergistic benefits;
● Conducts resource planning, budgeting and project management functions;
● Develop programme plans and own the responsibility for the successful execution of the programme
● Build, manage and nurture relationships with local, regional, and global programme partners including corporates, government agencies, and supporting service providers;
● Collaborate with start-ups, investors, corporate and government agencies to deliver integrated strategy for MaGIC;
● Actively engage with founders, mentors, and investors in ensuring a seamless flow of information and connections between these key stakeholders;
● Ensure programmes follow best practices and executed upon outlined content and curriculum of the programme playbook;
● Identify areas of improvement in the overall programme design, policies and procedures including escalating major program issues and risks to the Management;
● Measure the ROI (return of investment) of each programme to show tangible benefits;
● Amend and revise programmes as necessary, in order to adapt to the changes that occur in the entrepreneurship ecosystem;
● Manage the day-to-day operational matters to ensure efficient use of time and resources;
● Facilitate complaint resolution;
● Identify improvement areas in the overall programme design, policies and procedures;
● Perform other related duties assigned by SVP Technology and Innovation; and
● Monitor, control and report budget utilisation for a programme managed.
MaGIC discovers and empowers technology startups and social innovators through creativity, innovation and technology adoption, and develops a vibrant and sustainable entrepreneurship ecosystem in Malaysia. Since its inception in 2014, MaGIC has provided its community of start-ups, investors and ecosystem players with capacity building programmes, market & funding opportunities and regulatory assistance that impacted more than 100,000 aspiring and seasoned entrepreneurs with overall value creation of RM1.9 billion. As an agency under the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI), MaGIC facilitates, navigates and enables the ecosystem with the mission of strengthening Malaysia’s position as an emerging innovation nation.